Monday, August 15, 2011

The bathroom is no longer a one person place!

Sorry that it has been a few days since I posted. I am sure those of you with kids know that sometimes you just cannot find the time to participate in leisurely activities, Ssmetimes you are lucky if you can get the opportunity to go to the bathroom alone.

Before my daughter was born I was trying to mental prepare myself for everything, but I think that is impossible. I never would have guessed that I would yearn for the chance to go to the bathroom ALONE! Is that asking too much? It is when you are a stay at home mom.

I used to leave my daughter in her pack n play right outside the bathroom with the door open, but most of the time she gets mad and cries. So I put her in her walker in the bathroom because that was easier than hearing her cry. Now she's on to my little trick and cries when I put her in the walker. Sigh. So now I go into the other bathroom and set her on the floor with her rubber ducky. She plays for about 5 seconds then she decides that she is bored and pulls herself up on the tub. I immediately worry that she is going to slip and hit her head so now I put my hand behind her. After awhile she gets tired of that and she meanders over to me where she likes to touch the toilet if at all possible. GROSS! I try to distract her with another rubber ducky and set her down next to the tub.

Then when I stand up I have to put the toilet lid down before I step away from the toilet and flush without turning my body around in order to create a barrier between my daughter and the toilet. After that time I set her back at the corner of the room with her rubber ducky in order to buy myself enough time to wash my hands before she crawls back to the toilet and tries to lick it or something gross. Needless to say I do not take my time in the bathroom, however it does take a little bit of time. Between keeping my daughter happy and moving her away from the toilet I have my hands full.

So, when my husband gets home from work our interaction usually goes something like this. "Hi, I love you." "Hi, I love you. C wants you to hold her, she missed you. How was your day?" "It was good. How was yours?" "It was good, I have to pee." "Alright, I'll miss you." I then go upstairs and take my time enjoying the opportunity to go in peace. Then I hear from downstairs, "I thought you just had to pee." And suddenly I'm reminded that alas I have to go back downstairs eventually and I was lost in the peace of alone bathroom time for too long. I respond, "I did," and quickly wash my hands and head back downstairs, moment of alone time over.  Do I take a long time in the bathroom? Yes, sometimes I just need to take a quick breather and remembering what it is like to pee alone. Am I the only person who does this? I venture to say that every mom takes advantage of bathroom time to some extent. It is like a miracle when you get the chance to go alone.

For those of you who have no children or grown children, relish the time you have alone in the bathroom because it's not always your own time. For those of you with children, do not be afraid to take a little longer in the bathroom when you are all alone, you're not the only one who does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment